“There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.“
So much pain, so much suffering, injustice, hatred…
How can God allow it?
If there is a God, why is the world sometimes so awful?
Yet pain teaches us, brings us closer to others, nearer to God.
The world we live in is blighted by our sin – God plans to change it, to change us.
Pain is temporary – God has promised to get rid of it…
Helpful Bible references to consider:
- Human suffering stems from our disobedience to God; at present the whole creation labours under the curse placed upon it by God in the beginning. Humanity is condemned by sin to a life of constant struggle against nature, ending in death.
- Through this struggle our characters are formed. Through it we can come closer to God, as we are moulded into something better that gives him pleasure and that will bring us into his kingdom.
(Read: Rom.5:3-4: Heb.12:9-11; Acts 14:22; James 1:12)
- Jesus came to bring comfort, hope and joy to all who believe and trust in him.
(Luke 4:18-19; Luke 6:21; John 16:20-22)
- Jesus himself was made perfect by his sufferings. When we suffer, we follow in his steps.
(Read: Heb.2:10; Heb.5:7-9)
- God is in no way responsible for moral evil, but uses good and evil circumstances to bring about his purpose. Man alone is responsible for war and conflict of all sorts.
(Read: James 1:13-15; James 4:1-3)
- When God’s plan is complete, pain and sorrow will disappear, and the whole creation will be filled with joy.
(Read: Rev.21:4; Rom.8:19-21)