“I will extend peace to her like a river…He will be called… Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government and peace there will be no end.”
“Great peace have they who love your law.”
So longed for, so elusive…
Peace among nations, peace at home, inner peace – everywhere we need God’s help to create the right conditions for peace to flourish.
The promise of Jesus’ birth – ‘on earth peace’ – will soon become a reality on a world-wide scale.
Having confidence in that future will also bring us peace now in a troubled and restless age.
Helpful Bible references to consider
- Love for God brings real peace of mind into our lives, no matter how difficult our circumstances.
(Read: Psalm 119:165; Phil.4:6-9)
- Jesus as our mediator has reconciled us to God, and given us peace with him.
- A world that, in God’s eyes, lies in wickedness, can never experience real peace. But God has promised a great change to come.
- All God’s promises to his people anticipate a time of perfect peace in the future, when the earth will be full of God’s glory.
(Read: Psalm 72; Is.2:2-4; Hab.2:14)
- These promises will be realised when Jesus returns as the King of God’s Kingdom on earth, and all nations submit to his righteous rule.
(Read: Luke 1:31-32; 2:14: Is.9:6-7; 11:1-5: 32:17-18)
- The whole of Creation will share in this peace and harmony, which was intended by God in the beginning, but disrupted by Adam’s sin.
(Read: Is.11:6-9; Is.65:25)
- To prepare ourselves for a place in that future, we must promote peace now.
(Read: Psalm 34:14; Matt.5:9; Heb.12:14)